2018 Coastal Venture Competition
The Melton Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation (MCEI) is delighted to announce the 2018 Coastal Venture Competition! This two- stage competition allows students to present their best business ideas to local decision makers for a share of over $12,000 in cash and in-kind prizes.
What is the Coastal Venture Competition?
The Coastal Venture Competition is a two-stage competition that encourages the creativity and innovation of the students of the University of South Alabama. In the first stage of this competition students will submit a one to two minute video pitching their business idea to a panel of judges. Judges will evaluate each video based on how well it communicates the information about the entrepreneur and the business idea. Finalist will be selected from the video submissions to compete live in front of judges for the second stage of the competition.
How do I enter the Coastal Venture Competition?
The Coastal Venture Competition is a two-stage competition.
- To enter the first stage of the Coastal Venture Competition students create a short
video (1-2 minutes) explaining their business idea. If you are unsure of how to make a video, or if you would like access to video making
equipment please see Dr. Nelson in The Mitchell College of Business Room 116. The video should inform the viewer in an entertaining manner about who the entrepreneur
is, what his or her business does or will do, who the customers are, and why those
customers might buy what the entrepreneur is selling. The video can be submitted by posting it on youtube* and sending a link to the video with your name, jagmail, and J# to firstname.lastname@example.org. You will receive a confirmation email when your video has been received. A resources page is available for all participants.
*It is important to note if you wish to keep your video private you can post it on YouTube as unlisted (NOT private) or bring it on a flash drive to Dr. Nelson in The Mitchell College of Business Room 116.
- For the second stage of the competition you will be notified if you are a finalist. Finalist will prepare a 10 slide presentation of their business idea and present it live to a panel of judges and an audience. Student presentations will be judged on presentation quality & professionalism, likelihood of success, understanding of various aspects of their business, and ability to answer questions directly related to their business. A resources page is available for all participants.
** All videos become the property of the Melton Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation, and may be used to promote the Melton Center and future contests. However, if you share your video privately we won’t show it to anyone other than the judges**
|Video Submission Deadline||March 23, 2018||5:00 PM|
|Finalists Announced||April 6, 2018||5:00 PM|
|Finalists Presentation Practice||April 11, 2018||3:30 PM- 6:00 PM||Mitchell College of Business Room 265|
|Finalist Presentations Due||April 18, 2018||5:00 PM|
|Finals Held||April 20, 2018||1:00 PM- 5:00 PM||Mitchell College of Business Room 265|
Grand Prize $4,000
1st Runner Up $3,000
2nd Runner Up $2,000
3rd Runner Up $1,000
Honorable Mentions $500
What are the rules of the competition?
- You must be a University of South Alabama student to participate.
- All submissions must be legal, moral, ethical, and may not represent the University of South Alabama in a bad light.
- The Melton Center for Entrepreneurship & Innovation is the final arbiter of a business’s eligibility for inclusion in the Coastal Venture Competition.