Elizabeth VandeWaa, PhD
Professor Adult Health Nursing
- Interprofessional pharmacology education: Putting pedagogical knowledge into practice through simulation scenarios across disciplines
- Emotional intelligence in healthcare workers: Impact of social media use and other factors
- Assessment of demographic factors affecting nursing student attitudes toward healthcare implementation
- Assessment of opioid use and delivery knowledge in practitioners
- PhD, Michigan State University, 1986
- BA, Hope College (Biology), 1982
- Caldwell, S., Dearmon, V. VandeWaa, E., (2016) Reducing falls in residents with dementia by reducing psychotropic medication use: Does it work? Journal of the Nurse Practitioner. DOI: 10.1016/j.nurpra.2016.10.018.
- Turnipseed, D.L., VandeWaa, E.A. and Cain. G. (2016). Panacea or placebo? An evaluation of emotional intelligence in healthcare workers. Journal of Health and Human Services Administration 38: 438-477.
- Vande Waa, E.A. (2016) (Chapter). Poisoning and Drug Toxicities. In T. Barkley and C. Myers (Eds.). Practice Considerations for Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioners (2nd Ed). Barkley:Hollywood.
- Love, S., VandeWaa, E. A., DeRuiter, M., and Ramachandran, V., (2013). Ototoxicity and vestibulotoxicity: Considerations in the primary care setting. Clinician Reviews 23: 28-36.
Completed Research Support
- VandeWaa, E., Bydalek, K., Slater, N. Horton, H. Walker, D. McAdams, L. (2016) Preventing Drug Errors in Patients Using High-Alert Medications: An Interprofessional Approach, Interprofessional Grant, $2376, funded.
- Bydalek, K.,VandeWaa, E., Varner, J., Wooster, D., Haas, K.(2015). An Interprofessional Panel Discussion to Enhance Education Regarding High-Risk Medications in Geriatric Patients Among Students and Faculty in the Health Professions and Social Work. Interprofessional Grant, $5000, funded.
- VandeWaa, E., Estis, J., Rudd, A., Gordon-Hickey, S., Jacobs, M. (2014). Safe Medication Administration in Patients with Communication Disorders: An Interprofessional Education Simulation with Health Professions Students. University of South Alabama, Interprofessional Grant, $5000, funded.
- Moore, L., Swanzy, D., Farmer, J., Smith, K.K., VandeWaa, E., Bydalek, K., Anderson, J., Y., Carlisle, E. (2012). Use of Team-Based Learning to Improve Academic Performance, and Student Engagement in Baccalaureate Students Enrolled in a Preclinical Nursing Course. University of South Alabama, College of Nursing Dean’s Grant $2,260, funded.
- Smith, K.K., Farmer, J., Freeman, C., Jacobs, M., VandeWaa, E., Bydalek, K., Jones, L.,Graves, R., Lawrence, S. (2012). Assessment of Student Engagement, Academic Performance, Accountability, Student Satisfaction, Student Preference for Lecture or Team-Based Learning, Attitudes about the Value of Teams, and Student Retention in Nursing Students using Team-Based Learning. University of South Alabama, College of Nursing Dean’s Grant $2,260, funded.
- Turnipseed, D. and VandeWaa, E. (Co-Investigator). (2012). Development of a Workplace Social Intelligence Scale. Faculty Development Grant Funded at $2000, funded.
- Harlan, T. and VandeWaa, E. (Co-Investigator) (2010). Closing the Gap: An Analysis to Determine Faculty Development Needs for Incorporating High Fidelity Simulation into the Curriculum. CON Dean’s Grant, $2770, funded.
- Movelle, D. and Vande Waa, E. (Co-Investigator) (2001). Micro-Investigations. Funded by Alabama Power Foundation, Inc., $1000, funded.
- Vande Waa, E. and Swint , M. (Co-Investigator) (1998). Use of Herbal Medicines and Perceived Benefits. Tool Development. College of Nursing Dean’s Grant, $500, funded.
- Tracy, J. W. and VandeWaa, E.A. (Co-investigator) (1993-1997) Biochemistry of Schistosome Glutathione S-transferase. NIH-funded RO-1 grant; funded, $908,596.
- VandeWaa, E. (1984). Predoctoral Fellowship. Funded by the Pharmaceutical Manufacturers Foundation Association Foundation for $9000 for 2 years.
- Vande Waa, E. and Bennett, J. [Co-Investigator] (1982-1986). The regulatory role of 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A in egg production in Schistosoma mansoni. Doctoral Dissertation.
Graduate Courses Taught
- Physio-Pathological Bases of Advanced Nursing
- Pharmacology for Advanced Practice Nurses
- Pharmacology for Accelerated Nursing Track
- Pathophysiology for Accelerated Nursing Track
Undergraduate Courses Taught
- Clinical Pharmacology
- Clinical Calculations Pharmaceutical Manufacturers Association Foundation
Honors and Awards
- 2017—Mortar Board Top Prof Award, University of South Alabama
- 2012-- Recipient of the Outstanding Teaching Award, University of South Alabama, College of Nursing
- 2001—Recipient of the Outstanding Teaching Award, University of South Alabama, College of Nursing
- 1998—Recipient of the Young Faculty Award, presented at the American Federation of Clinical Research Annual Meeting
- 1997—Nominated for Teacher of the Year, University of South Alabama
- 1984—Recipient of a competitive 2-year Predoctoral Fellowship from the Pharmaceutical Manufacturers Association Foundation
- 1984—Recipient of the Duncan J. McCarthy Memorial Award for outstanding oral presentation at the Twelfth Annual Pharmacology Colloquium, Michigan State University