The curriculum is comprised of selected general education requirements and a professional component. Students are admitted every semester.
Admission Criteria for the BSN
The College of Nursing Admissions Committee and the Dean of the College select applicants best qualified for and most likely to succeed in the study of nursing.
Enrollment into the pre-professional component as a nursing major does not assure the student admission to the Professional Component. Enrollment in the Professional Component is limited and competitive. Students are admitted without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, sex, or qualified disability. Students must be in good standing with all academic institutions/nursing programs that they have attended in order to be admitted to the BSN program:
- Submission of a completed application with a $50 fee.
- Minimum GPA of 2.9 on all prerequisite courses and in good standing within the University.
- Minimum University GPA of 2.5.
- Minimum grade of “C” in all pre-professional courses.
- Submission of health data forms and evidence of health insurance.
- Evidence of CPR certification.
- Admission will be contingent on a negative drug screen and results of an acceptable background check.
- Interview - applicants may be invited for a personal interview. Verbal and written communication skills will be assessed during the interview.
- Fall Semester Deadline is March 15
- Spring Semester Deadline is July 15
- Summer Semester Deadline is January 15
Students accepted into this BSN program in the College of Nursing are required to complete all requirements under Medical Documents Manager as listed on the Health Requirements Webpage at http://www.southalabama. edu/colleges/con/clinical/ healthrequirements.html. All requirements should be completed no later than one month prior to the first day of classes for the professional component. Students are not required to order a Castle Branch account until they have been accepted into the professional component.