2018 National Bioethics Bowl
This year's National Bioethics Bowl will take place April 13-14, 2018. It will be hosted by the University of South Alabama.
What is Bioethics Bowl?
The National Bioethics Bowl brings teams from colleges and universities around the country each year to discuss ethical challenges in biomedicine and technology.
Months before the event, the teams receive a case packet, containing 15 cases that raise ethical issues, and are tasked with crafting arguments for their positions on each case.
At National Bioethics Bowl, teams of five compete in several rounds of debate. In each round, two teams debate; each team is presented with a case and offered the opportunity to present their position, hear the reply from the opposing team, and respond to the opposing team and to judges.
Here are the cases for this year's bowl.
The University of South Alabama is located in Mobile, Alabama.
Team registration will be open February 1 at 12:01 am CST. Registration fee is $300 per team.
A team will not be eligible to compete until all registration fees have been paid and the form has been received.
- Teams must pay the $300 fee on the online portal in order to complete registration. Forms of payment accepted are Visa, Mastercard, Discover, and American Express.
- Spots will be secured on a first come, first served basis.
- Only four-year accredited colleges and universities are eligible.
- If a team has fewer than 5 students, please enter "N/A" in the remaining member information boxes in order to proceed with registration.
- Student eligibility follows the APPE guidelines.
Click here to complete team registration. (Please use Firefox or Internet Explorer to open the registration page.)
Teams will receive the case packet upon registration.
Travel & Accommodations
Would you like to serve as a judge or moderator for this year's bioethics bowl? Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information!