NEW GRE CODE FOR CASPA –
EFFECT 2017-2018 ADMISSIONS CYCLE
NEW FOR 2018-2019
|•||Science GPA and Last 60-hour GPA as calculated by CASPA must be at least a 3.0 to be considered for the program.|
|•||All prerequisites must be completed one semester prior to matriculation. (i.e. prerequisites must be completed by December 2018 to enter the program May 2019)|
All application materials for the 2017-2018 Admissions Cycle (to enter program May
2018) must be received by the deadline, October 1, 2017. The program will not review
applications that are incomplete, received after the deadline, or do not meet the
The application cycle runs annually from May 1 to October 1. Those who meet all minimum requirements may apply by completing the following three-step process:
- Apply through the Centralized Application Service of Physician Assistants (CASPA). The CASPA application must be VERIFIED and submitted to USA by October 1. Please allow up to four weeks for verification, contact CASPA for more information. The University of South Alabama
PA Studies program will be available for selection on CASPA starting May 1, 2017.
Transcripts: Official transcripts from every college or university that was attended are considered part of the CASPA application and must be sent directly to them. Applications will not be verified until all official transcripts have been received by CASPA. Please do not send transcripts to USA unless instructed to do so.
Evaluations: Three (3) evaluation/reference letters are required and are considered part of the CASPA application and must be submitted to CASPA no later than the October 1 deadline. Applications will not be verified until at least two of your evaluations have been received. At least one evaluation must be from a Physician Assistant (PA), Medical Doctor (MD), or Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO). Evaluation/reference letters sent directly to our office will not be accepted.
- Mail the completed Supplemental Application along with a check or money order for the non-refundable fee of $110.00 by the October 1 deadline.
- Submit Graduate Record Examination Score electronically to USA PA Studies, Institution Code 2169 no later than the October 1 deadline. For details, visit ETS. Applicants can self-report unofficial scores on their CASPA application, but this does not replace official score reports.
If an international student, the applicant must also:
- Have all international coursework and degrees evaluated by World Education Services and submit an official copy of the WES transcript to this office no later than the October 1 deadline to verify that it meets the USA equivalency of a Baccalaureate degree . An official WES transcript must also be submitted to CASPA.
- Contact the Office of International Services at time of application to verify needed documents for admission to the University of South Alabama. Proof of having required documentation must be presented to the Department of PA Studies by the October 1 deadline to have your application considered for admittance into the program. Application to USA through the Office of International Services is required in addition to completing the Department of Physician Assistant Studies requirements to be admitted into the program.
- Take all prerequisites in the U.S. to establish a USA GPA. Applicants may have only one (1) prerequisite course in progress at time of application. Effective the 2018-2019 admissions cycle, all prerequisites must be completed one semester prior to matriculation..
- TOEFL–International Students, whose native language is not English, must submit a
score of 100 or above on the Test of English as a Second Language (TOEFL-IBT) for
Students who are U.S. Citizens with international coursework will follow the same procedures as international students if applicable (steps 1, 3 and 4 only), the applicant should consult CASPA instructions for clarification on evaluations and submission: CASPA Instructions and FAQs. Coursework as part of a regionally accredited institution study abroad program that appears on the transcript as credit granted by that university will not require further evaluation.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to monitor the delivery of all materials to the USA PA program office and to CASPA. For convenience, CASPA now offers a smartphone app for monitoring your application. See the CASPA online portal.
Mail the completed Supplemental Application along with a check or money order for the non-refundable fee of $110.00 to the Department
of PA Studies no later than October 1. Supplemental applications and fees postmarked after October 1 will not be accepted.